By Carter B. Horsley
This attractive, 1932 office building was converted
to a rental apartment building by Rockrose Development Corporation
in 1999 and in 2007 Rockrose converted it to a residential condominium.
Designed by Shreve, Lamb & Harmon, the
architects who had designed the Empire State Building a few years
before, this 27-story, limestone-clad building has 422 apartments.
The marble lobby contains its original murals
by Giancarlo Impligia.
The apartments have beamed, 11- to 14-foot-high
ceilings, state-of-the-art wiring, individually controlled heating
and air-conditioning, walk-in closets and pass-through kitchens.
The building has 24-hour concierge service,
two roof decks, a residents' lounge with a fireplace, a billiards
table, a screening room, a fitness center, walk-in closets and
a garage with elevator access.
It has three major setbacks that provide terraces.
For an additional fee, tenants can use an on-site business center
and valet service is available. Some apartments have skylights
and residences on the penthouse level have cabanas and a water
The building offers its residents complimentary
breakfast weekdays in the lobby.
The building is convenient to the Financial
District and the South Street Seaport. The neighborhood has good
public transportation and a wide variety of shopping.
Avinash K. Malhotra was the architect for the
The building is connected at the lobby and
cellar to 15 Cliff Street, which is a dormitory for New York University.