One of two nearly identical apartment towers on
blockfront of Sutton Place South
between 54th and 55th Street,
Cannon Point South was built in 1958 as a cooperative.
The white-brick, 20-story
building is perhaps best known for
a photograph of a high-floor tenant fishing from his window in the East River directly below. Needless to say, many
south have great vistas of the United Nations complex.
While the facades of
these two buildings are relatively
plain, the large windows and slightly modulated fronts are quite
pleasant, and the Sutton Place
ambiance is superb: quiet, understated and elegant.
Although some of the riverfront properties
here have their own impressive gardens, there is a nice, small park
also at the
terminus of 57th Street
where there is also a cross-town bus stop.
The undeniable charm of
the area has always made its
residents superfluous to the less than magnificent blocks between it
midtown. The area is never crowded except for July 4th when Macy's
spectacular fireworks display further down the river and hordes come
excellent vantage points.
River views from this
area have always been heralded for the
romantic Queensborough Bridge, but in the late 1990's they became more
interesting because of the new high-rise towers at Queens West, a major
residential development in Queens across from the United Nations.
The building's name,
Cannon Point, comes from the fact that
the site once held fortifications to ward off invasion of Manhattan
and also had until 1921 a shot
tower, according to the building's original marketing brochure.
building was designed by Paul Resnick and Harry Green
and William Pahlman designed its attractive lobby.