1050 Fifth Avenue

Northeast corner at 86th Street

1050 Fifth Avenue

1050 Fifth Avenue

By Carter B. Horsley

This 19-story apartment building was erected in 1958 by Bernard Spitzer. It was his first major project in Manhattan and he would go on to build 800 Fifth Avenue (see The City Review article), 200 Central Park South (see The City Review article) and the Corinthian on the full block between Second and First Avenues and 38th and 39th Streets.

The buff-colored brick facade originally had a white marble one-story base that was replaced in the early 2000s by a two-story, rusticated limestone base. In 2008, it replaced its canopy with one with windscreens with clear panels.

The building has numerous terraces and one of the most attractive lobbies on Fifth Avenue.

In his excellent article on the building in the June 12, 1994 edition of The New York Times, Christopher Gray said that many of the components of the lobby came from the building that previously stood on the site, a 1916 mansion owned by Morton Plant after the financier "deserted his earlier house at 52nd and Fifth Avenue, now occupied by Cartier" (see The City Review article.)

Original base

Original base

2008 base

Base in 2008

Mr. Spitzer's building has about 95 apartments and was designed by Wechsler & Schimenti with separate dining rooms, picture windows, a garage, and air-conditioning.

The building is part of the Carnegie Hill Historic District. It is across 86th Street from the Neue Gallerie and there is a west-bound bus station at the corner.

For more information on this building see its entry at CityRealty.com


Use the Search Box below to quickly look up articles at this site on specific artists, architects, authors, buildings and other subjects

 

Home Page of The City Review