By Carter B. Horsley
This very attractive apartment building was
designed by J. E. R. Carpenter, the foremost architect of luxury
residential buildings in the city of his generation.
His other buildings on Fifth Avenue include
810, 825, 907, 920, 950, 988, 1030, 1035, 1060, 1115, 1120, 1143,
1148, 1150 and 1165 as well as 2 East 66th Street.
Erected in 1926 as a cooperative, the 16-story
building has 61 apartments. It is almost a twin of 1165 Fifth
Avenue and their entrances face each other across the sidestreet.
1165 Fifth Avenue was built as a cooperative in 1925 and converted
to a cooperative in 1947 and has the same number of stories and
apartments as 1170.
Carpenter had built a similar set of "twins"
just before this pair at 1115 and 1120 Fifth Avenue at 93rd Street.
Needless to say, these "twins" are the epitome of "contextual"
architecture and both have very large and handsome wrought-iron
marquees above their sidestreet entrances.
These two are one block north of the westbound
Central Park transverse road at 97th Street and a block south
of the large "campus" of Mt. Sinai Hospital. They are
also quite close to a school and a church and many of the interesting
cultural institutions along Fifth Avenues "Museum Mile."
A local subway station is at 96th Street and
Lexington Avenue and a large childrens playground is just
within Central Park on the south side of 96th Street. The building
has a doorman and a concierge and sidewalk landscaping, but no
garage and no balconies.