apartment house occupies the entire block-front on the east side
of Madison Avenue between 77th and 78th Streets.
Erected in 1956, it was converted to a condominium
in 1986. The 16-story building has 103 apartments.
White/gray-brick apartment buildings have not
garnered many architectural accolades, but this one certainly
is above average. It has some bay windows, some corner windows
and some terraces, but its best feature is that most of its second-story
along the avenue is indented, which gives the building an important
"visual" lift as it seems to levitate the quite considerable
mass of the building above it. The central portion of the façade
along the avenue is recessed above the second floor, which also
helps lessen the building's sense of mass.
In the late 1990's, the building created a
unified retail frontage that was very clean and handsome and in
1999 was rewarded with one of the world's most glamorous retail
tenants, Missoni, which created a two-story store at the 78th
Street corner. The Missoni lease was a significant northward thrust
by such a major fashion concern that heretofore had not ventured
much farther north than 72nd Street on the avenue.
The doorman building has a canopied entrance
with a polished red granite surround and sidewalk landscaping.
The building has a garage, a doorman and discrete air-conditioners.
The building, which has no balconies, has an
excellent Upper East Side location as it is on an attractive and
quiet sidestreet but is also very convenient to the Metropolitan
Museum of Art and the Whitney Museum of American Art as well as
many fine boutiques, art galleries and restaurants. P.S. 6, one
of the city's finest public schools, is three blocks to the north
and the neighborhood has numerous private schools and religious
institutions. There is good cross-town bus service on 79th Street,
and there is a local subway station at 77th Street and Lexington
Avenue. Lenox Hill Hospital is nearby at 77th Street and Park