This handsome, beige-brick
apartment building, which occupies the Madison Avenue western
blockfront between 87th and 88th Streets, was erected in 1927
and converted to a cooperative in 1953.
The 13-story building has
75 large apartments and is typical of many of the rather conservative
apartment buildings and hotels that were developed at the time
in this area, large and bulky but well constructed edifices.
It has a step-up entrance
that leads to an attractive, marble-lined vestibule that leads
to a step-up lobby. The building has a doorman and the building
has a one-story, rusticated limestone base, attractive window
surrounds and quoins on the second floor, sidewalk landscaping
and a small cornice. It has no garage and no health club and permits
Its entrance is across the
street from the very handsome glazed terracotta apartment building
at 12 East 87th Street, which is one building away from a very
pleasant garden that belongs to Liederkranz Hall, a club that
was formerly a Phipps family mansion designed by Grosvenor Atterbury.
The northeast corner of 87th Street and Fifth Avenue had been
the site of a very large and impressive mansion with gardens behind
a balustraded limestone fence that had also belonged to the Phipps
family and was eventually replaced by the handsome apartment building
at 1060 Fifth Avenue.
This is a very quiet block
in the heart of the Carnegie Hill neighborhood, which is named
after Andrew Carnegie, the steel magnate, who was also a partner
with Henry Phipps. Carnegie's mansion still stands, with its large
fenced garden, on Fifth Avenue between 90th and 91st Streets.
A supermarket is nearby
on Madison Avenue, which also has numerous nice boutiques and
restaurants. There is excellent cross-town bus service on 86th
Street and many important cultural institutions and many leading
private schools in the vicinity.