By Carter B. Horsley
With its fine gold Roman brick
and great limestone rustication on the first floor on the sidestreet,
this building remains handsome despite the removal of some bandcourses
and the imposition of a fireescape on its sidestreet facade.
Designed and developed by Thomas
Graham, Graham House was completed in 1893 as an apartment hotel
and had a first-floor dining room.
It is distinguished by a great
and flamboyant arched entrance and nice facade detailing.
It is particularly notable
for its fine cornice expecially at the corner where it is supported
by a cylindrical pylon. An 1891 illustration of the building in
Andrew Alpern's fine book, "Touring the Upper East Side,
Walks in Five Historic Districts," indicates that a very
thin steeple or flagpole was stop the corner of the cornice.
The building, which has arched
windows on its top floor, has no doorman, and no garage but is
just down the block from Central Park and in the heart of Carnegie