By Carter B. Horsley
In 1938, the Brick Presbyterian Church on the northwest corner of Park Avenue at 91st Street was completed in a restrained neo-Georgian red-brick design by York & Sawyer.
The church introduced a degree of modernity to Upper Park Avenue that was quickly seized upon by architect George F. Pelham Jr., who not only designed this building but also 1130 one block south, and his red-brick designs nicely complement the church with considerable contextual grace.
This clean-cut, 89-unit cooperative building, which was completed in 1940, the same year Pelham also completed 785 Park Avenue further south, holds the building line but is indented above the second story to provide more corner bay windows.
The site is at the crest of Carnegie Hill and the neighborhood is highly desirable for families because of its churches and schools and many cultural institutions. There are several restaurants nearby on Madison Avenue but subways are several blocks away.
The building has a canopied, one-step-up entrance with a doorman and its address is on the building's facade above the Art Deco-style entrance. The building has no sidewalk landscaping and no garage.