By Carter B. Horsley
One of the very few grand courtyard apartment
buildings left in Manhattan and the only one still standing on
Park Avenue, this very large and very handsome building has 185
Designed by Schwartz & Gross, it was developed
by the Bricken Construction Company in 1929.
The building has a Gothic-inspired triple-arch
entrance and driveway on the avenue and its very large courtyard
leads to six elevator lobbies, each of which service only two
apartments a floor. A nice feature of the landscaped courtyard
is that the separate entrances have their own canopies and that
the facades facing the courtyard were nicely ornamented and finished.
The building has a two-story limestone base
with a dark masonry façade above with terra-cotta trim
near the corners. Like many buildings of its era, its windows
had awnings that have long since given way to air-conditioners.
The apartments are spacious and there are some
In 1995, the building converted a former "ironing"
room that had become a storage room in the basement into a 800-sq.
ft. gym with black granite and bird'-eye pine trim.