By Carter B. Horsley
This impressive 12-story apartment house was
designed by William A. Boring and completed in 1911 two years
after he had designed 540 Park Avenue on the northwest corner
at 61st Street, which has been described, according to James Trager,
the author of "Park Avenue, Street of Dreams" (Atheneum,
1990), as "the first of the high-class apartments to be built
on Park Avenue."
Boring also was the architect for an apartment
building at 520 Park Avenue, but it was demolished in 1932 and
replaced by Christ Church. Boring would become the head of the
School of Architecture at Columbia University.
This building, which has a doorman but no garage,
has 27 apartments and was converted to a condominium in 1987.
It has a canopied, three-step-up entrance and no sidewalk landscaping.
Its few but bold and very attractive balconies
contrast admirably with the building's finely detailed limestone
facade, all well contained under a large cornice, a strong composition.
The location is wonderful, very close to midtown
and many of the city's best boutiques and restaurants and excellent