By Carter B. Horsley
One of Park Avenues more exclusive apartment
buildings with only one unit per floor, this 13-story, limestone-clad
building was erected in 1914 and converted to a cooperative in
It was designed by J. E. R. Carpenter, the
leading architect of luxury apartment buildings in the city of
his generation. His other Park Avenue buildings include 550, 580,
625, 630, 635, 655, 812, 950, 960 and 1050. His Fifth Avenue buildings
include 810, 825, 907, 920, 950, 988, 1030, 1035, 1060, 1115,
1120, 1143, 1150, 1165 and 1170 as well as 2 East 66th Street.
The building, which has a sidestreet entrance
with a very impressive entrance, was developed by S. Fullerton
Weaver and replaced six row houses. Some of the apartments have
as many as 18 rooms and most have cedar closets and fireplaces.
The building has protruding air-conditioners.
This section of Park Avenue is very desirable
because it has several very handsome low-rise buildings, churches
and landmarks that make it architecturally quite interesting and
also provides more open views. This building is across the avenue
from the imposing and impressive 7th Regiment Armory. It is also
convenient to public transportation and the many fashionable boutiques
and restaurants along Madison Avenue and, of course, it is not
too far from Central Park.
The building has a canopied entrance with very
attractive entrance doors, a doorman and sidewalk landscaping.
It has protruding air-conditioners and no garage and no health