By Carter B. Horsley
From a distance, this looks like a typically
attractive, "standard-issue" Park Avenue apartment building
of generous and stately proportions.
Up close, however, this red-brick building
has a herd of cow skulls ringing its facade on a low stringcourse
and along its cornice.
Erected in 1929, the finely detailed building,
which has a two-story limestone base, was converted to a cooperative
in 1964. The 16-story building has 66 apartments and was developed
by Michael E. Paterno, one of the citys foremost developers
of luxury residential buildings of his generation, and designed
by J. M. Felson.
This apartment building overlooks the Roman
Catholic Church of St. Ignatius Loyola and its school and related
facilities diagonally across the avenue.
The building, which has an exposed rooftop
watertank, is close to the Metropolitan Museum of Art on Fifth
Avenue and there are other schools and religious institutions
nearby. Cross-town buses run on 86th Street and an express subway
station is at Lexington Avenue and 86th Street. The building has
a doorman, protruding air-conditioners and sidewalk landscaping
but no garage.