By Carter B. Horsley
This well-proportioned and attractive Italian-Renaissance-palazzo-style
apartment building was erected in 1915 by Bing & Bing and
designed by Robert T. Lyons, whose other Park Avenue buildings
are 955 and 1155.
The 13-story building, which has a large green
cornice, was converted to a cooperative in 1960 and has 51 apartments.
It has considerable "light and air"
because it is across the avenue from the Roman Catholic Church
of St. Ignatius Loyola and its school and related facilities.
The building, which has a two-story-high, limestone
base, has sidewalk landscaping and lanterns that flank its entrance,
which is one of the few on the avenue with a revolving door.
The building, which has no garage and no health
club, is not far from to the Metropolitan Museum of Art on Fifth
Avenue and there are other schools and religious institutions
nearby. Cross-town buses run on 86th Street and an express subway
station is at Lexington Avenue and 86th Street.