This very attractive, dignified,
red-brick apartment house has a prime Central Park West location
and spectacular views of the park.
Built in 1930, the 19-story
building was converted to a cooperative in 1953.
Despite its occupying an
entire blockfront, the building only has 101 apartments, most
of them quite large with excellent layouts.
Its location a block south
of the Majestic and two blocks south of the Dakota, two of Central
Park West's most famous residential addresses, is wonderful because
it has less noise and traffic and is a bit closer to Lincoln Center
for The Performing Arts and midtown.
The building's facade is
relatively plain for such a choice address, but well detailed
and the building's watertank is attractively enclosed as well.
The building has a doorman,
a concierge, spectacular views, but no balconies, no garage, no
sundeck and no health club. It has inconsistent fenestration and
no sidewalking landscaping.
It was developed by Abraham
Bricken and designed by Schwartz & Gross. Its top has several
teraces and the facades are nicely modulated with pilasters.