This very handsome church was founded in 1868
and moved into this structure in 1904. It was designed by William
Schickel, an architect noted for his Gothic Revival style and
who had studied with William Morris Hunt and Henry Fernbach. His
other notable buildings in New York City are the St. Ignatius
Loyola Roman Catholic Church (see The City Review article) and
the original buildings of the Lenox Hill and St. Vincent's hospitals.
The reredos above the altar was executed in
the 1920s and the church has a stained glass window depicting
the Ascension by the Tiffany Studio of New York.
The church is a Reconciling in Christ congregation
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
There is good bus service
at this location and The Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts
is a few blocks away as are various schools and religious institutions
and good shopping.
The church has a website