By Carter B. Horsley
This handsome, 27-story
cooperative apartment tower is one of the city's most modernistic
with its silvery metallic façade.
Designed by Philip Birnbaum, the 278-unit building
was developed by Giffuni Bros., and completed in 1978.
It occupies the former site of the Colonial
Theater, which was built in 1904 and later became the Harkness
Theater. The Colonial Theater was "hallowed by Chaplin, Houdini,
Walter Hampden and - among many others - Walter Winchell, whose
nightly broadcast originated here in the forties," according
to Peter Selwen in his very interesting book, "Upper West
Side Story A History and Guide," (Abbeville Press, 1989)
The handsome building has an L-shape and is
wrapped around 1881 Broadway. It has a large through-block arcade,
entered from Broadway that originally had a lot of red seating.
In 1997, a large part of the arcade was rented to a "rock-climbing"
enterprise that brought a new, blatantly vigorous, albeit incongruous,
life to the space.
Many apartments have views of Lincoln Center
have unobstructed view over Lincoln Center for the Performing
Arts. The building has a doorman and is convenient to public transportation
and restaurants and Central Park. There is no sidewalk landscaping
and there is considerable traffic in this area.