A former garage building
that was converted into a warehouse in 1943, this handsome orange,
and black brick and cream and royal blue terra-cotta Art Deco
building was converted into a residential condominium in 1985
by Aaron Green and British Land of America.
The conversion, which was
designed by Alan Lapidus and Rothzeid, Kaiserman, Thompson &
Bee, created 93 apartments on 27 floors. The building was erected
in 1930 as the Kent Automatic Parking Garage building, designed
by Jardine, Hill & Murdock.
True to its heritage, the
building offers residents storage space, always an important concern
and amenity, as well as a bicycle room and a driveway, but no
With its solid construction,
high ceilings and very desirable location, this conversion was
achieved nicely without unnecessary flourishes, letting the quite
powerful massing and setback detailing of the original building
stand on their own.
The building was declared
an official city landmark in 1983. It has high ceilings and sidewalk
landscaping, but no health club.