By Carter B. Horsley
This pleasant, narrow, light-brown
brick apartment building at 599 West End Avenue on the southwest
corner at 89th Street was erected in 1924 for the West End Avenue
Corporation of which David Greenberg was president and converted
to a cooperative in 1984.
It was designed by George
and Edward Blum, architects who also designed 277, 610, 617, 760,
780 and 838 West End Avenue, 555, 791, 875, 940 and 1075 Park
Avenue, 1435 Lexington Avenue, 676, 720 and 730 Riverside Drive,
among many other Manhattan apartment buildings
The 12-story building has
28 apartments and brick quoins.
The entrance on the sidestreet
has a canopy and a limestone surround. The facade has two bandcourses.
It has protruding air-conditioners and inconsistent fenestration.
It has no sidewalk landscaping, no garage, no health club and
It is one block to the east
from Riverside Park and one block to the west of convenient neighborhood
shopping on Broadway. It is also very convenient to excellent
crosstown bus service on 86th Street and not far from a local
subway station at 86th Street and Broadway. This area has undergone
significant upgrading in the 1980's and 1990's and is now one
of the most desirable on the Upper West Side.
The site was formerly occupied
by a four-story rowhouse.