By Carter B. Horsley
one of the more attractive apartment buildings along this handsome
It is distinguished
by large, green, glazed terracotta shields along its roofline
and very bold and unusual balconies that have limestone ends and
building has a three-story limestone base and a very ornate top
with a large limestone balustraded bandcourse two floors from
It was erected
in 1910 and converted to a cooperative in 1978.
It was designed
by Schwartz & Gross and is arranged around an interior court
that opens to the east.
third story is faced in brown brick banded with contrasting white
stone and the transitional tenth story is enhanced by terracotta
brackets supporting a continuous balustrade at the 11th floor.
The richly decorated top two floors have terracotta spandrels
with green plaques and arched openings at the 12th story with
the paired end bays set in inscribed arches recalling Gothic tracery.
The large green terracotta shields are topped by a dentiled terracotta
cornice and a parapet wall. Almost every floor has vents cut into
the facade and few of the oiriginal windows have survived.
was erected on the Evans black," the site of the Evans homestead,
a wood-frame dwelling with two attached stables and grounds that
once occupied the entire block. During the early part of the 20th
Century the building was occupied by squatters until it was demolished
in 1909 to make way for this building.,
building has 68 apartments and a step-up entrance and protruding
air-conditioners. The building permits protruding air-conditioners
and has inconsistent fenestration and no sidewalk landscaping,
no health club and no garage.
It is one
block to the east from Riverside Park and one block to the west
of convenient neighborhood shopping on Broadway. It is also very
convenient to excellent crosstown bus service on 86th Street and
not far from a local subway station at 86th Street and Broadway.
This area has undergone significant upgrading in the 1980's and
1990's and is now one of the most desirable on the Upper West