This very attractive, beige-brick
apartment building, which has many gargoyles of lions on its facades,
was erected in 1928 and converted to a cooperative in 1983.
The 15-story building, which has a handsome
rooftop watertank enclosure, has 93 apartments. It is at 685 West
End Avenue on the northwest corner at 93rd Street.
It was designed by Sugarman & Berger for
the Namalc Realty Company of which Millie Claman was president
and also has an address of 301-305 West 93rd Street.
The building has a two-story limestone base,
a doorman, sidewalk landscaping, consistent fenestration and it
permits protruding air-conditioners. It has no concierge, no garage
and no sundeck.
The building is U-shaped with a courtyard that
opens to the north and it is clad in buff-colored brick with stone
and terracotta trim. The designation report for the Riverside
Drive-West End Avenue Historical District provides the following
commentary about this building:
"While the massing and horizontal articulation
of the building reflect that of more classically-inspired neo-Renassance
architecture, the facades are enhanced with stylized Gothic style
ornament.....The stone base surmounts a high polished granite
basement that has 'Joseph E. Gilbert/Builder/1928' inscribed at
the southern end. The entrance enframement forms an ogee arch
supported by masks at the imposts. It contains paired metal and
glass doors with wrought-iron ornament. Flanking the entrance
are four window bays with wrought-iron grilles, stone entrance
enframements with blind ogee arches, and two bays at each end.
The second story has six narrow denter windows flanked by projected
stylized Gothic style piers supported by masks and crowned with
lions holding shields....The corners of the building at the top
two stories have double-height engaged colonnettes crowned with
cartouches above the parapet, which is topped with a with a simple
wrought-iron railing. The two-story brick roof structure has openings
with metal louvers flanked by banded terra-cotta columns and topped
by blind ogee arches; it is crowed by a dentiled cornice and projecting
gargoyles at the corners....The original six-over-one and eight-over-one
wood sash windows have been replaced with one-over-one aluminum
sash....It was constructed on the site of six brick-faced rowhouses
of five stories each on West End Avenue and two of four stories
with basements on West 93rd Street."
It is in a very attractive stretch of West
End Avenue and is only a block to the east from Riverside Park
and a block to the west from convenient neighborhood shopping
along Broadway. Cross-town bus service and a subway station are
at 96th Street and Broadway.