One of the city's loveliest
apartment buildings and probably its most attractive and elegant
white-brick building, this 13-story building was erected in 1912
and converted to a condominium in 1988.
It was designed by George
and Edward Blum, architects who also designed 277, 610, 760, and
838 West End Avenue, 555, 791, 875, 940 and 1075 Park Avenue,
1435 Lexington Avenue, 676, 720 and 730 Riverside Drive, among
many other Manhattan apartment buildings
In their fine book, "George
& Edward Blum, Texture and Design in New York Apartment House
Architecture," (The Friends of Terra Cotta Press, 1993),
Andrew S. Dolkart and Susan Tunick note that this building was
erected the same year as the Evanston at 610 West End Avenue that
the Blums designed for George F. Johnson Jr., and Leopold Kahn.
The Blums also designed the Admaston apartment building at 259
West 89th Street the same year for Johnson and Kahn. The Johnson-Kahn
Company had previously built the Hendrick Hudson Apartments on
Riverside Drive at 110th Street and the adjoining annex and the
authors suggest that Edward Blum "may have been the designer"
of these two major buildings for the architect of record, William
"The Blums' apartment houses are part of a third
wave of quality multiple dwelling construction, and their finest
buildings stand out from the hundreds of more pedestrian examples
that appeared in Manhattan....they were among the few apartment
house architects of the period to show an appreciation for expressive
"George and Edward
Blum were among a large number of Americans to study at the École
des Beaux-Arts. Most American students had little first-hand knowledge
of Paris or of French language and culture and remained unaware
of new design trends beyond those taught at the École.
The Blums' French parentage and their experience growing up in
France set them apart from most of their compatriots. It appears
that they gained a greater familiarity with contemporary French
architectural practice than most Americans, for their early buildings
indicate a range of French influences far greater than those generally
acquired through study at the École." "The manipulation
of varied materials, especially the use of brick for decorative
as well as functional purposes, exerted the most far-reaching
influence on the Blums' apartment houses. Brick had been used
extensively in French architecture, notably in the Midi region,
near Toulouse and Albi, where stone is scarce, and on major buildings
erected throughout France during the reign of Louis XIII in the
early seventeenth century and during the nineteenth century. Although
brick had not been a traditional building material in Paris, it
became especially popular in the late nineteenth century for apartment
buildings for the middle and working classes and for public buildings
such as schools and baths," the authors continued.
This building has 61 apartments
- 17 one-bedroom, 39 two-bedroom and 5 three-bedroom units - and
is distinguished by its unusual, perforated roofline above its
cornice and the pronounced verticality of its facade treatment
that organizes most of the windows in piers.
The building, which has
a one-story granite base, has considerable terracotta ornament
and curved balconies on its top two floors and two of its lower
The handsome sidestreet
entrance leads to a lobby that has leaded-glass windows and a
concierge. The building permits protruding air-conditioners.
One block from Riverside
Park, this building, which has no garage, is convenient to public
transportation and neighborhood shopping.