By Carter B. Horsley
This attractive 14-story building
was erected in 1920 and converted to a cooperative in 1988. The
building has 65 apartments.
The nicely detailed, red-brick
building has a two-story, rusticated limestone base and a step-up
entrance with a canopy flanked by lanterns. It has an Italian
Renaissance palazzo-style facade with quoins at the comers, limestone
reveals around the third-story windows, some decorative balconies
and a cornice. It has consistent fenestration and permits protruding
The building is missing its
original cornice, but the top of the facades was nicely rebuilt
unlike the quite unattractive replacement at 515 West Avenue nearby.
This neighborhood offers very
convenient public transportation and excellent shopping as well
as many interesting restaurants. Riverside Park is one block away.