By Carter B. Horsley
This attractive, beige-brick
apartment building was erected in 1912 and converted to a cooperative
The 15-story building was designed
by George F. Pelham and has 62 apartments. The buff-colored brick
building has a dumbbell-shaped plan with light courts opening
to the north and south.
The building has a concierge,
a step-up lobby and consistent fenestration. It permits protruding
air-conditioners and has no landscaping, no garage and no sundeck.
It has a short canopy.
It is in a very attractive
stretch of West End Avenue and is only a block to the east from
Riverside Park and a block to the west from convenient neighborhood
shopping along Broadway. Crosstown bus service and a subway station
are at 96th Street and Broadway.
The building was erected on
the site of five stone-fronted, five-story rowhouses. The original
eight-over-one wood sash windows have been replaced by dark greay
aluminum one-over-one sash.