By Carter B. Horsley
This red-brick building has a quite modest
sidestreet entrance with a canopy, sidewalk landscaping and a
small polished dark green granite entrance surround.
The building's first floor has rusticated masonry
and the windows have attractive but simple white reveals.
The 12-story building has many balconies facing
the East River. It was converted to a cooperative in 1972 and
has 75 apartments.
In their fine book, "New York 1960, Architecture
and Urbanism Between The Second World War and the Bicentennial,"
(The Monacelli Press, 1995), Robert A. M. Stern, Thomas Mellins
and David Fishman observed that "William J. Hohauser's River
Edge House (1941) at 33 East End Avenue, occupying the south blockfront
of Eighty-first Street between East End Avenue and the East River
Drive, initiated the reconstruction of lower East End Avenue."
"The principal feature of the bland, brick-sheathed building
was its river-facing balconies," they added.