This attractive, red-brick
apartment tower was completed in 1924 and is one of the more modest
designs by J. E. R. Carpenter, the leading architect of Park Avenue
buildings of his era.
Carpenter's other buildings
on the avenue include 550, 580, 610, 625, 630, 635, 640, 812,
912 and 960. His other buildings include 907 Fifth Avenue and
the Lincoln Building at 60 East 42nd Street.
"Carpenter is credited
with the introduction of the zoned apartment plan - an innovation
that eliminated long winding halls by grouping rooms for entertaining
on one side and bedrooms on the other side on an entrance hall
or gallery. By 1919 he was the a paramount authority in the field,"
noted Robert A. M. Stern, Gregory Gilmartin and Thomas Mellins
in their book, "New York 1930, Architecture and Urbanism
Between The Two World Wars," (Rizzoli International Publications,
In his book, "Park
Avenue, Street of Dreams," (Atheneum, 1990), James Trager
wrote that this building "originally had an on-premise restaurant,
the Maison de Lion, and offered housekeeping apartments from three
rooms and a bath to six rooms and a bath."
This 89-unit building, which
was developed by J. E. R. Carpenter, has excellent masonry with
brick quoins. It was converted to a cooperative in 1974. In his
fine book, "The New York Apartment houses of Rosario Candela
and James Carpenter" (Acanthus Press, 2001), Andrew Alpern
notes that the building's rooftop maids' rooms were converted
into a penthouse and the restaurant converted into doctors' offices
in 1928 and that when it was converted to a coop Muzak was made
available in each apartment.
It has a canopied, one-step-up entrance on
the sidestreet, a doorman, and sidewalk landscaping, but no garage
and no health club. It has a fine location in Carnegie Hill close
to numerous schools, museums and religious institutions. There
is excellent public transportation and good local shopping.