By Carter B. Horsley
This attractive apartment building, which has
a one-story limestone base, was erected in 1914 and converted
to a condominium in 1989.
Developer Martin J. Raynes added three penthouse
apartments to the building at the time of the conversion by purchasing
the air rights from three adjoining buildings on the sidestreet.
The addition is not in the same Italian-Renaissance-palazzo style
as the rest of the building, which was designed by Schwartz &
Gross. The building’s broad avenue frontage is nicely modulated
by three very handsome rows of balconies with the middle row shorter
than the other two. The composition is nicely capped by an attractive
cornice. The sidestreet facade has some balconies also.
Schwartz & Gross designed many other apartment
houses on Park Avenue including 470, 885, 888, 910, 911, 930,
941, 970, 983, 1045, 1070, 1125 and 1165.
The 14-story, light-beige brick building, which
has 48 apartments, has a prime location that is very close to
midtown and public transportation, Central Park and the boutiques
and restaurants along Madison Avenue. Its rooftop watertank is
exposed and it has inconsistent fenestration.