By Carter B. Horsley
One of the first apartment houses to be erected
on Park Avenue after World War II, this 20-story building was
developed by Sam Minskoff & Sons, which subsequently built
many office buildings in the city, and completed in 1949.
The site was formerly occupied by the Union
Theological Seminary and then by a mansion owned by George Blumenthal.
The famous, large patio interior of the former Blumenthal mansion
is now on prominent exhibit next to the grand staircase at the
The 100-unit building was designed by Sylvan
Bien and was converted to a cooperative in 1979. It is located
in the most prestigious part of Park Avenue, close to some of
the most elegant and exclusive residential buildings in the city.
Many people consider East 70th Street to be one of the most attractive
sidestreets in the city.
Although the building is not close to a subway
station, there is cross-town bus service on 72nd Street, which
is also a major access to the Central Park Drive. This area is
one of the most desirable in the world with world-famous boutiques
along Madison Avenue and many important art galleries and restaurants
nearby as well as the incomparable Frick Collection a block and
a half to the west.
The red-brick building has a canopied entrance
and a doorman, many balconies, and consistent fenestration.