In 1984, the city enacted
new zoning to try to prevent Broadway from losing much of its
Parisian ambiance that resulted from its fairly uniform street
walls and cornice lines.
The result was a group of
new apartment buildings that were considerably more attractive
and much more contextual than those of the previous building generation
that generally were eyesores.
The upper 80's and the 90's
witnessed a major construction boom and one of the most attractive
new buildings was the New West, a 22-story, 158-unit condominium
that was designed by Philip Birnbaum & Associates and completed
in late 1986. Harvey Schulweis and Bill P. Nikolis were the developers.
The Broadway corner of the
building has wrap-around balconies and the sidestreet's fašade
is nicely modulated by with recesses and a series of double-height
units, a welcome throwback to the artists' studios with north
This handsome building is
on the former site of the Standard Theater that was designed by
Thomas W. Lamb in 1914 and subsequently was used as a supermarket.
In addition to a health
club and pool, the building has laundry facilities on every floor,
a sundeck, a private garden and video security.